- Limit acids: This goes for food and drinks. Juices, cocktails and candy usually fall into this category. Strong acids in these types of foods and beverages can cause enamel erosion and tooth decay. Don’t know if it has acids? Food choices that can stain your teeth are usually a good indicator that it has acid.
- Stay away from red wine! We know. It’s tasty and is often a beverage that hosts choose to serve at dinner parties. However, because it has such a deep color, it can stain your teeth. If you must, keep a glass of water nearby or brush your teeth after finishing your glass.
- Say no to sugar: By sugar, we mean candy…even those after dinner mints. This can prolong exposure of harmful substances that can severely damage teeth.
- Soda: You were probably expecting this. All brands and colors of soda are harmful to your teeth and should be avoided at all costs. Opt for a glass of water instead and keep yourself hydrated for extra pearly whites.
- Dried fruit: As a before dinner favorite, dried fruits are sticky, chewy and can easily attached to teeth and stay there. This is why we stress brushing AND flossing to make sure that all food particles are cleaned away.
From our dental family to yours, we wish you happy holidays and a New Year full of health and prosperity!
Vasag Bouzoghlanian, DDS
1060 E. Green St, Suite 203. Pasadena, CA 91106
Phone: (626) 577-2017
Fax: (626) 577-2003